Essential Tips for Keeping Your Houseplants Healthy
Updated: Jan 10
It doesn't matter what type of plant you have, they all have very similar basic needs. Here's a quick guide for those who struggle to keep those indoor plant pals thriving!
Our Essential Tips for Keeping Your Houseplants Healthy
1. Do not over water, only water when it’s nearly dry - dip your finger into the soil and if any dirt sticks then leave it for another day (it’s winter so water roughly every 1-2weeks).
Your plant will let you know when they need watering, they’ll start to look sad. Do not let it go to this stage too often so they won't keep going into shock when you finally water them! Water until water comes out of the bottom of the pot. Deep watering helps establish deep, healthy roots - not just on the top.
2. No matter what they say about light, I think most plants strive better with more natural light!
3. Use rain water if at all possible (I put my watering can under the roof drain pipe 🤣), if not, use either filtered water or tap water that has been left in an open jug overnight to allow the chlorine from water to release/escape.
4. While you’re watering, check you plants for any pests or diseases to catch it before it spreads. Don't forget to check under the leaves!
5. Wipe leaves every now and then when dusts accumulates on leaves, with a damp cotton cloth. Do not spray with water as this may cause fungal disease on the leaves. Wiping leaves clean helps it to soak up more light.
6. Deadhead flowers and make sure to remove dead or dying leaves to encourage more blooms, help prevent disease, and so the plant doesn't waste energy trying to revive the browning or yellowing leaf. Use snips or sharp scissors to make a clean cut without tearing the plant’s stem.
7. Follow tip number 1 like a bible, if you’re anxious about watering the plants too often or too little, you can also buy a moisture meter to help you identify when it needs to be watered.
8. Last but not the least, enjoy the company of your indoor plant pal. I find my time with them really relaxing and calming. The more time you spend with them, the more you'll understand their needs so minding them gets easier!
Easy Houseplants to Keep Alive
This shows the usual list of easy houseplants to keep alive. But
I would like to add this gorgeous Begonia - Mazae Nigricans (I think some call it Bethlehem star too).
It was my very first indoor plant, the plant that got me thinking I can keep a plant alive! It was a gift from a neighbour 8 yrs ago, I always complimented her plant and she came one day and gave me one!
It is nearly drought resistant and no minding at all - I have no idea why it never makes it to the list, so I thought I’d share this with you. This plant is super easy to propagate too and just as how it was given to me, I’ve shared this to many of my family and friends, who have no experience in caring for plants, with great success! Just look at that fabulous green velvety leaves and the underside of the leaf is red!
We hope these essential tips to keeping your houseplants healthy helps you in your journey to having an indoor jungle! I say this because with success in keeping our plant pals alive, it can be quite addictive!
If you have any other tips or any other care free plants you would like to add to the list, we would love to hear about them, so please comment below.
It would be amazing if you would subscribe to our website here and get these posts straight into your inbox, along with 10% off your first order.
As always, we hope you, your friends and families a happy, healthy and safe.
Lots of love,
Arianne & Keelly xxx